The Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) seeks an experienced and dedicated leader to be the next Executive Director. SIAM is the premier international applied mathematics society, with a community of more than 14,500 individual members and almost 400 institutional members in 100 countries. Incorporated in 1952 as a nonprofit organization to convey useful mathematical knowledge to professionals who could leverage mathematical theory for practical, industrial, or scientific use, the Society has flourished and now publishes 18 of the highest impact journals in applied mathematics, while serving as a critical convener of leaders in the field from education, industry, government, and beyond. The next Executive Director will join SIAM at a time of tremendous opportunity as the Society continues to increase its global presence, expands its work in important areas like data science and uncertainty quantification, and further partners with industrial members that distinguish SIAM from peer societies.
The Executive Director will report to the Board of Trustees and work closely with the Board and leaders on the SIAM Council to shape the strategic direction for the Society, identify and pursue growth strategies, continuously analyze the Society’s progress, and ensure that SIAM’s vision, mission, and priorities remain relevant in a field that has immeasurable importance in innovations across virtually every sector and discipline. The Executive Director also works closely with stakeholders on key policy decisions and provides overall management of the organization and its 70 employees based in Philadelphia.
The successful candidate for this influential position will possess skills to lead a complex organization and demonstrate a strong commitment to the power of scientific research to benefit society. They will be mission-oriented as well as business-minded, committed to developing a shared vision and strategy for the Society, and able to advance innovative partnerships, programs, and revenue models that support SIAM’s core mission and provide increased value to its membership. The next Executive Director will position SIAM to be an innovator in new models of publishing and conferences, and also broaden the Society’s focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. As a visible public representative of the Society, the candidate will also possess the ability to enthusiastically and persuasively advocate for SIAM among the scientific community, policymakers, industry groups, funding organizations, and individual donors. A terminal degree in a STEM field is preferred. Demonstrated success in leading STEM organizations is also valued.
The search committee understands that no single candidate will have all of the ideal qualifications, but it seeks candidates with the following experience and abilities:
• Informed understanding of and passion for science and research policy and the people who impact it;
• Strong leadership, managerial and organizational skills;
• A proven ability to develop and initiate new strategic programs and initiatives;
• A successful track record of supporting, building, motivating, and mentoring high-performing teams;
• A demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness; sensitivity and broad experience with diverse communities;
• Experience working collaboratively and effectively with highly accomplished and engaged volunteers and diverse stakeholders;
• An ability to undertake a strong representational role, including developing close working relationships with the media, other discipline associations, elected officials, foundations, federal agencies, corporations, and other national organizations;
• Outstanding listening and communication skills; • Experience in working collaboratively; the ability to build consensus and to make decisions coupled with courtesy, respect, and diplomacy;
• Experience with and/or interest in securing philanthropic support through donors, foundations, and industry;
• Significant leadership, management, and decision-making experience with direct accountability for results; • A doctoral degree in applied mathematics or another related STEM field for this position is preferred.
Confidential inquiries, nominations, referrals, and resumes with cover letters can be submitted electronically using the link below. Materials may be addressed to the Isaacson, Miller team:
Kate Barry, Partner
Christine McEntee, Senior Advisor
Sydney Giller, Senior Associate
263 Summer St., Boston, MA 02110 https://www.imsearch.com/search-detail/S7-529
SIAM is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.