Hey there! At Raaka, we make unroasted dark chocolate. We love sharing the bold, fruity, and tangy flavors present in unroasted cocoa beans. We’re passionate about innovation, and we’re constantly exploring what’s possible in chocolate. As proof, we make two totally unique limited batch chocolates each month for our First Nibs monthly chocolate subscription. We make all of our product from bean-to-bar at our factory in Red Hook, Brooklyn.
We’re driven by a passion for operating in ways that maximize positive social and environmental impact. We buy fine flavor cacao directly from cocoa cooperatives, paying above fair trade prices under our Transparent Trade commitments. We’re proud to have built a culture of respect, creativity, and open, honest, direct feedback where folks can bring their full selves to work. We’re committed to increasing employee ownership.
We’re seeking a CEO who aligns with our values, is excited about our vision, and is capable of realizing that vision.
Raaka’s vision, in a nutshell, is to become the Ben & Jerry’s of chocolate. We’re making uncommonly delicious chocolate, and running our business in a way that makes a difference in people’s well being. We plan to grow from $3mm to $6mm in the coming 3 years. We’ll do this by growing Raaka’s brand, with focus on our brand pillars: Unroasted Dark Chocolate and Transparent Trade. We’ll continue to scale deep, meaningful relationships with customers. We’ll develop and improve Raaka’s social impact. Leveling up our online business will be a core focus.
We will consider candidates from a variety of backgrounds who present a compelling case that they can work with our team to realize Raaka’s vision. Candidates must be available to work full time from our office in Red Hook, Brooklyn.
- Transition responsibilities from the current CEO and build relationships with the existing leadership team
- Increase EBITDA profits & achieve bottom line-profitability in 2021
- Build long term brand value
- Increase the company’s positive social impact
- Realize the company's long term vision with effective leadership
- Work with Executive Chair (current CEO) to set high-level strategy
- Manage 4 department leads (production, sales, marketing, admin/HR):
- Cultivate a productive, positive work culture which honors company’s values (see below)
- Manage cash flow
- Raise capital
- Lead investor communications
- Manage the team to ensure all brand standards are universally met/exceeded
- Promote enthusiasm for the company's brand, vision, and impact internally and externally
- Host quarterly board meetings
- Inspire excellence in the team by keeping members vitally connected to meaning and "why" we work
- Recruit, hire, & train department heads (if needed)
- Exceptional business development and strategic planning skills
- Exceptional management skills and track record of managing a diverse team
- eCommerce/DTC business development expertise (esp. consumer brands)
- Highly collaborative work style and commitment to growing the responsibilities and opportunities of the team
- Leadership experience and the ability to manage a wide range of stakeholders
- Passion for the business and consumer brands
- Alignment with company's values
- 2+ years of c-level experience at a consumer brand w/sales > $5mm
- 5+ years in the consumer packaged goods
- Experience raising capital
- Online subscription product experience
- Marketing/brand building (esp. for consumer brands)
- Manufacturing operations experience
- Product development
- Food production/manufacture
- Track record of providing and scaling exceptional customer experience
- Sales & partnerships
- Leadership in sustainability practices & social responsibility
- Financial management
- Prior business success
- Specialty food network
- General management & administrative skills
- Mentoring/coaching experience
- Passion for specialty/natural food
Reports to: Executive Chair and Board of Directors
Direct Reports: Co-founder, Director of Sales, Brand Manager, HR/Admin Manager (4 total)
More about the company:
- Team Size: 20 FTEs (6 office, 14 production/fulfillment)
- Annual Sales: +$3 million
- Innovation - It's our distinct pleasure to actively and creatively innovate. As an emerging brand, we’re nimble and we leverage that.
- Social impact - We partner with mission-driven suppliers who work hard to produce exceptional products and we purchase under industry-leading commitments to our suppliers.
- Creating jobs we love - We're committed to maintaining a positive and supportive work culture grounded in open, honest communication, respect, and hard work.
- Creativity: What people eat and how they buy it is always changing. We bring creativity to formulation and distribution.
- Quality: Everything we do, we commit to doing well.
- Joyfulness: We practice working from a place of joy and sharing that with others.
- Direct, open, honest communication: We're best off when we understand each other.
- Sustainability: We work to be good stewards of the environment.
- Transparency: Better information leads to better decisions.
- Self-improvement: The workplace is a great place to get better at all kinds of things.
- Community: We're happiest when we're connected to those around us.