Job ID: ADM0000D
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Facility/Division: WAYNE UNC HEALTH CARE
Shift: Day Job
Wayne UNC Health Care is a 316-bed community, not-for-profit hospital, which has been serving residents in Wayne County and surrounding areas for 120 years. With 1,700 employees and more than 150 physicians, our mission is to provide quality healthcare services through the compassionate hands of well-trained staff in a technologically advanced, cost-effective manner.
Through executive leadership, operational policies and procedures and staff, the President & CEO leads and directs all aspects of Wayne UNC Health Care to assure its success and position within the healthcare and business community.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
• Strategic: Works closely with the Board and staff to create, implement, monitor and maintain key strategic initiatives supporting the hospital’s continued growth, effectiveness and performance in a transparent and collaborative manner.
• Administrative: Assumes ultimate responsibility for the total operations of Wayne Health - providing leadership, direction and administration of all hospital operations in keeping with established objectives and ensuring quality patient care and leading-edge services.
• Visible Champion: Serves as the hospital’s primary external representative and promoter of public relations inside and outside of the hospital, and between the hospital and the region, by sharing information necessary for increasing awareness of services provided and emphasizing the unique nature of Wayne Health.
• Medical Staff/Community Relations: Assists the medical staff in providing for their needs to deliver quality care - coordinating efforts to recruit and retain excellent clinical personnel, working with the medical staff committees, and keeping lines of communication open at all times to include community-based independent private practice as well as employed physicians. Acts as a liaison to maintain open lines of communication for the promotion of effective working relationships between all hospital entities, medical staff, Board of Directors, health system patients and families.
• UNC Health Care System Relations: The next President & CEO will work closely with the Network President to ensure a cohesive strategy is set forth and pursued. He/She supports the development of operational, financial and capital budgets within the framework of the System. As a leader within the affiliate network of hospitals, the successful candidate will support the development of the Wayne Health organization business planning process that underpins its role and relationship to the Statewide Region and UNC Health as a whole.
• Team Building: Is visible, accessible and approachable throughout the organization and creates strong morale and a spirit of teamwork - sharing in the wins and successes, fostering open dialogue, promoting a sense of pride and ownership in individual job duties that contributes to the greater good of the hospital. Provides direction, guidance, and evaluation for staff and other directly assigned personnel. Relates well to employees and is extremely effective in motivating. Communicates clearly, transparently, actively and effectively with other health system personnel, physicians, patients and families, and intervenes in times of crisis to facilitate appropriate hospital response. Rounds regularly and engages patients, personnel, physicians and the community at all levels and with genuine interest and compassion.
• Financial: Monitors the fiscal activities of the hospital - assisting in the preparation of the budget and allocation of funds, monitoring the financial status of the organization on a regular basis, and making appropriate adjustments to secure market growth and enhance fiscal strengths. Leads the development of a financial strategy that supports and complements the overarching strategic vision for Wayne Health.
• Regulatory: Participates in, develops an understanding of, and follows local, state, and federal regulatory requirements. Serves as an effective advocate and voice for Wayne Health and the rural health community at the regional and state level.
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
• Approximately ten years of experience (or more) as a senior executive within a similar sized or larger hospital or mid-to-large regional health system. Experience as a President, CEO, COO or equivalent is strongly preferred;
• Strong preference for experience within a not-for-profit community hospital affiliate within a regional health system;
• MHA, MBA, or a similar advanced degree is required;
• Fellow in the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE) is a plus;
• Demonstrated strategic ability as well as success in financial and operational management/administration;
• Experience with quality and patient safety initiatives;
• Experience and success in physician relations, recruitment and retention;
• Track record of leadership and involvement at the state and national level with regard to healthcare and other material issues affecting the industry;
• Experience with joint ventures, affiliations and other collaborative initiatives is strongly preferred;
• Exceptional communicator with genuine written, presentation and speaking skills;
• Achieves high levels of employee engagement. Prioritizes employee satisfaction;
• Hires, supports and empowers talented leaders;
• Fits the culture: low ego, optimistic, ethical, responsible more than authoritative, collaborative, willing to lead, fun to work with and work for, etc.;
• Understands the complexities of a community health system supporting a dynamic, growing suburban population and well as a largely rural community experiencing the present-day challenges related to community transformation – and how to assess and align the health system with those unique needs and future state requirements;
• Ability to lead the hospital in advancing its strategic mission.